MPEG-TS and Rust

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Jul 16 06:23:54 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 22:22 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 22:24 +0300, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> […]
> > With that little context, one would need a crystal ball to understand
> > what goes on here :)
>
> Actually I thought I had explained quite well. However…

Thanks. The problem here is that you don't provide valid data to the
descriptor, please check the MPEG-TS and DVB specs or at least the
parsing code. One place where this is described is ETSI EN 300 468 in
annex A.

The first byte of the text is supposed to signify the charset encoding
that is used (and it might be more than a single byte).

Of course this shouldn't crash if random other data is found there
nonetheless. Can you create an issue with your testcase?

> > You'd need to provide at least a full backtrace with line numbers and
> > the input, or even better a testcase to reproduce the crash you're
> > seeing.
>
> I suspect it will never be possible to get a full stack trace with line
> numbers because the project is in Rust calling a compiled shared library.

That seems like a problem in your setup. You can get proper stack
traces with gdb/lldb and even MSVC on Windows in mixed Rust/C/C++
projects.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com