Why does appsink fall behind?

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Wed Jun 19 18:42:46 UTC 2019

This whole question refers to code I've put up on GitHub here
<https://github.com/kwende/OpenCVGStreamer/blob/master/StandAloneOpenCVPlayer.cpp>.
The project containing this file is a Visual Studio project, but it should
be easily buildable under Linux as well as there isn't much to the source.

My problem is this: I'm trying to pull RTSP stream data from a camera and
do some simple OpenCV manipulation. This dummy app I put together for this
email just blurs. Simple stuff. The problem is that the pipeline continues
to fall farther and farther behind.  The best I can reason, it has to do
with the appsink element. But I'm explicitly telling it to have a buffer
length of 1, to drop buffers, etc. I've also set the rtspsrc to have zero
latency, to drop on latency, etc. too.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I've fiddled with several
parameters to no avail, over time it just accumulates delay.