parsebin: Not emitting no-more-pads?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Jun 21 22:43:45 UTC 2019

Le vendredi 21 juin 2019 à 23:04 +0200, Krzysztof Konopko a écrit :
> On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 16:23 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> > Le vendredi 21 juin 2019 à 19:37 +0200, Krzysztof Konopko a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I don't see 'parsebin' emitting 'no-more-pads' signal ('pad-added'
> > > is
> > > fine).  I also do not see `gst_element_no_more_pads()` called
> > > anywhere
> > > in its implementation.
> > >
> > > Is this intended or am I missing something?
> >
> > This element is meant to be used with playbin3 elements which uses
> > the
> > new GstStream API and mechanism to notify new streams.
> >

> I understand the purpose of GstStream API but does this mean in this
> case the 'stream-collection' message is meant to replace 'no-more-pads'
> signal?

Yes, it's a replacement. It's not impossible that in the future new
elements end up no longer implementing the no-more-pads callback.

> The latter seems like a fundamental part of `GstElement` API so at
> least there's some inconsistency as it's advertised for example by
> `gst-inspect-1.0`?

I'm not sure what gst-inspect-1.0 has to do with that. parsebin is a
completely new element, which have never implemented that, so I don't
see how this could be an API break. It was written from scratch to
support the replacement of playbin2 (called playbin), so it makes no
sense to add playbin2 feature into it.

> Are you saying that I should be listening for 'stream-collection'
> message instead of 'no-more-pads' signal?

If you want to use this new element called parsebin, yes. If you want
to use decodebin instead, no-more-pads will be emited.