Need help for finishing migration of a Digital Signage application on basis of gstreamer(-vaapi) GLX 1.6.x and info-beamer => gstreamer 1.14/15 EGL

Sebastian Stelmasik s.stelmasik at it-websolutions.com
Mon Mar 11 18:47:36 UTC 2019

Hello gstreamer Pros!

we are currently migrating a Digital Signage application on basis of
gstreamer(-vaapi) 1.6.x (using the handoff signal in vaapisink) and
info-beamer (https://info-beamer.com/opensource).

Until now we were using (cheap) AMD devices where we use glx-pixmaps for
surface sharing between gstreamer and info-beamer which works quite
perfect (no mem copy at all).

Now we have to switch to INTEL devices as there are no cheap (and
compatible with the former open source driver) AMD devices and now we
are experiencing frame-drop issues in surface sharing between
gstreamer(-vaapi) and info-beamer on INTEL ATOM Z8300 devices (which
should be a lot faster than the AMD E-350 we have been using before). As
I said before we use glx-pixmaps for surface sharing which works perfect
on AMD-GPUs. But now there seems to be a lot of in mem copy which causes
a lot of frame-drops.

So regarding to an answer from  Víctor Jáquez our issues are now:

1) We are using a old version of gstreamer and gstreamer-vaapi
2) We are using a deprecated API for handling VA-API
3) We are using a soon-to-be deprecated buffer meta
4) We are relying on GLX, which has no future, as far as I understand

The tasks we have/had are:

1) upgrade to the latest gstreamer, gstreamer-vaapi release (nearly
done: ~80%)
2) remove the old GstVaapi code (done: 75%)
3) use EGL (done: 66%)  => egl context sharing seems unfinished
4) change code to use a pipeline like this: playbin video-sink="glupload
! appsink" (done: ??)

=> the code should then use the appsink API to fetch the decoded video
frames with GLMemory, which it will contain a texture that one can
render. By using EGL vaapi it should export dmabuf-based buffers, those
buffers should be imported as EGLImages, wrapped the texture, and thus
no memcopy should be required.

Right now we have some compile issues (regarding migration of gstreamer
1.6 => 1.14) and code has to be migrated to use EGLImages instead of
GLImages?
I believe that it will not be complicated as everything here is already
done, all we need is make it compile (some symbols seem to have changed)
and modify a couple of (sink?) functions. But unfortunately our
developer cannot finish the project so I am looking for someone who can
finish the migration he started for a reasonable amount of money.

You'll get full access to required project sources (via subversion) and
should be able to compile/run the project.
Target platform is Ubuntu 18.04.x on INTEL Atom devices - but any other
INTEL integrated GFX should be OK for developing.

Please contact me via E-Mail: s.stelmasik at it-websolutions.com to discuss
the details.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sebastian Stelmasik

--

IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik
Dipl. Informatiker

Naatlandstr. 2
45143 Essen

Phone:  +49-201-6177151
Fax:    +49-201-6177152
Mobile: +49-172-2415963

---

Die Information in dieser e-mail ist vertraulich und exklusiv fuer den Adressatenkreis bestimmt. Weiterleitung oder Kopieren, auch auszugsweise, darf nur mit ausdruecklicher Einwilligung von IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik erfolgen. In jedem Fall ist sicherzustellen, dass keinerlei inhaltliche Veraenderungen erfolgen. IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik uebernimmt keine Haftung fuer die Richtigkeit der Information in dieser e-mail noch fuer Handlungen, die auf ihrer Grundlage erfolgen.

The information provided in this e-mail is confidential and is for the sole use of the recipient. It may not be disclosed, copied or distributed in any form without the obtained permission of IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik and to the extent that it is passed on care must be taken to ensure that this is in a form which accurately reflects the information presented here. No responsibility can be accepted by  IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik for the correctness of the information provided in this e-mail nor for any action on its basis.