Need help for finishing migration of a Digital Signage application on basis of gstreamer(-vaapi) GLX 1.6.x and info-beamer => gstreamer 1.14/15 EGL

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Mar 11 19:49:41 UTC 2019

Le lundi 11 mars 2019 à 19:47 +0100, Sebastian Stelmasik a écrit :
> Hello gstreamer Pros!
> we are currently migrating a Digital Signage application on basis of gstreamer(-vaapi) 1.6.x (using the handoff signal in vaapisink) and info-beamer (https://info-beamer.com/opensource).
> Until now we were using (cheap) AMD devices where we use glx-pixmaps for surface sharing between gstreamer and info-beamer which works quite perfect (no mem copy at all).
> Now we have to switch to INTEL devices as there are no cheap (and compatible with the former open source driver) AMD devices and now we are experiencing frame-drop issues in surface sharing between gstreamer(-vaapi) and info-beamer on INTEL ATOM Z8300 devices (which should be a lot faster than the AMD E-350 we have been using before). As I said before we use glx-pixmaps for surface sharing which works perfect on AMD-GPUs. But now there seems to be a lot of in mem copy which causes a lot of frame-drops.
> So regarding to an answer from  Víctor Jáquez our issues are now:
> 1) We are using a old version of gstreamer and gstreamer-vaapi
> 2) We are using a deprecated API for handling VA-API
> 3) We are using a soon-to-be deprecated buffer meta
> 4) We are relying on GLX, which has no future, as far as I understand
> The tasks we have/had are:
> 1) upgrade to the latest gstreamer, gstreamer-vaapi release (nearly done: ~80%)
> 2) remove the old GstVaapi code (done: 75%)
> 3) use EGL (done: 66%)  => egl context sharing seems unfinished
> 4) change code to use a pipeline like this: playbin video-sink="glupload ! appsink" (done: ??)

I'm not sure you really want/need glupload here. The VAAPI decoder can
now produce DMABuf, which you can share across process as long as you
have a mechanism to pass the rest of the metadata (format, size,
strides, offsets, etc). To request DMABuf, there is a new caps feature:

  vaapih264dec ! "video/x-raw(memory:DMABuf)" ! appsink