gst-build success but missing h264 encode/decode elements

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Wed Mar 13 07:50:05 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:03:30 -0500 (CDT)
Mohammad Bhuyan <mohammad.bhuyan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have built GStreamer using gst-build (uses meson and ninja) on Raspbian
> platform.
>
> It was a fresh install of Raspbian (Basic). Also, I did not change any
> gst-build config.

[...]
> I did notice that OpenH264 was built part of GStreamer, thus I expected that
> OpenH264 enc/dec elements should be there. But using gst-inspect I don't
> seem to see them.
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1. For H264 encoding/decoding which elements are preferred - OpenH264 vs
> x264?
>
> 2. How do I make my gst-build produce those plugins? What dependencies must
> I install before my build?

On a Debian system you can install the build-dependencies of the
official GStreamer packages like so:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep gstreamer1.0-plugins-good

And gst-build will pick them up if you reconfigure it.

To figure out what GStreamer package you want to target you can look
at reverse dependencies, e.g.:

$ apt-cache rdepends libx264-155 | grep gstreamer

> 3. Is it possible that my build actually produced those plugins but my path
> setup is not current for GStreamer to see them?
>
> 4. In regards to question (2) above, where is the documentation for
> dependencies for plugins/elements?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mohammad

Ciao,