Decklink SDI ! ccextractor ! x264

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Mar 26 23:49:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 16:55 -0600, John P Poet wrote:

Hi,

> Can someone give me an example pipeline for processing captions from
> decklinkvideosrc into a h.264 or mpeg2 video?  Preferably, I would
> like to end up with a transport stream.
>
> gst-launch-1.0 version 1.15.2
> GStreamer 1.15.2 (GIT)
> Unknown package origin
>
> I am starting with a pipeline like:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 decklinkvideosrc device-number=${DEVICE} mode=12 skip-
> first-time=500 output-cc=true video-format=2 duplex-mode=0 !
> ccextractor ! autovideoconvert ! queue ! x264enc interlaced=true !
> 'video/x-h264, profile=(string)main' ! h264parse ! queue ! mpegtsmux
> name=mux ! queue ! filesink location=video.ts
>
> Am I putting the ccextractor in the wrong place, or is there other
> elements necessary to create the GstVideoCaptionMeta for x264enc?

So (don't have a decklink at hand right now, so haven't tested)...

decklinkvideosrc will put caption metas on buffers (either
TYPE_CEA708_CDP or TYPE_CEA608_S334_1A).

x264enc will pick up caption metas of TYPE_CEA708_RAW (only) from input
buffers and inject them into the bitstream.

So in an ideal world you'd have something that would convert those
metas on the buffers, but I'm not sure that exists yet.

There is ccconverter, but it doesn't operate on metas but a packetised
closed caption stream, so you'd have to use ccextractor to split the
metas into a stand-alone stream, then convert the type to what x264enc
needs, then put the result back on buffers as metas with cccombiner.

So much for the theory. In practice some things may not be fully
implemented yet. Your mileage may vary. Good luck :)

Cheers
 -Tim