dynamic stream recording

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Tue Nov 26 16:39:07 UTC 2019

Hey all,

I've found an article from ~5 years ago documenting dynamic pipelines which
seem to be the suggested way of enabling/disabling recording at runtime, cf.:

https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/01/gstreamer-dynamic-pipelines/
https://github.com/sdroege/gst-snippets/blob/
217ae015aaddfe3f7aa66ffc936ce93401fca04e/dynamic-tee-vsink.c

Is this still the recommended way of doing things? For a novice, it is
extremely difficult to follow - the code is complex and apparently requires
manual setup of the pipeline, which is unfortunate - the flexibility of
`gst_parse_launch` has helped me a lot so far.

As an alternative to the above dynamic-tee-vsink approach, I just experimented
with using an output-selector instead. That is in theory much simpler, but it
has multiple other problems, most notably one cannot change the location of a
downstream filesink e.g.

So, does one have to bite the bullet and implement the complex dynamic-tee-
vsink.c logic?

Thanks
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH, a KDAB Group company