dynamic stream recording

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Nov 27 07:55:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-11-26 at 17:39 +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:

Hi Milian,

> Is this still the recommended way of doing things? For a novice, it
> is extremely difficult to follow - the code is complex and apparently
> requires  manual setup of the pipeline, which is unfortunate - the
> flexibility of `gst_parse_launch` has helped me a lot so far.

I think by and large this is still correct, but it depends a bit on
what exactly you want to do.

Can you describe your goals/requirements? There are many types of
'dynamic' stream recording.

gst_parse_launch() just doesn't work very well for dynamic things.
Having
said that, you can still use helpers like
gst_parse_bin_from_description(),
which are like gst_parse_launch() but  give you a bin / pipeline part
instead of a full top-level pipeline. So you can use it for branches
for example.

If you provide more specific info we might be able to point you to more
specific examples.

Cheers
 Tim