dynamic stream recording

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Nov 29 07:53:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 12:53 +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Dienstag, 26. November 2019 17:39:07 CET Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've found an article from ~5 years ago documenting dynamic pipelines which
> > seem to be the suggested way of enabling/disabling recording at runtime,
> > cf.:
> >
> > https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/01/gstreamer-dynamic-pipelines/
> > https://github.com/sdroege/gst-snippets/blob/
> > 217ae015aaddfe3f7aa66ffc936ce93401fca04e/dynamic-tee-vsink.c
> >
> > Is this still the recommended way of doing things?
>
> Hmm, I just ran the example code against gstreamer 1.16-1 (on archlinux if
> that matters) and it doesn't seem to work. All I get is a black video sink
> after some time.
>
> Running the pipeline manually without tee works fine:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=test.mp4 ! decodebin ! videoconvert ! queue !
> videoconvert ! autovideosink
>
> Can someone check if the example code needs to be adapted?

(I wrote the code in question)

The example code should still be correct and back then it was working
correctly. I can confirm that there's a problem though: changing the
timeout to 1s causes various critical warnings and green video frames
here. I'll debug that in one of the next days but expect there to be
some bug inside GStreamer that was introduced since I last tried it.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com