dynamic stream recording

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Fri Nov 29 10:25:03 UTC 2019

On Freitag, 29. November 2019 08:53:02 CET Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 12:53 +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 26. November 2019 17:39:07 CET Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've found an article from ~5 years ago documenting dynamic pipelines
> > > which
> > > seem to be the suggested way of enabling/disabling recording at runtime,
> > > cf.:
> > >
> > > https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/01/gstreamer-dynamic-pipelines/
> > > https://github.com/sdroege/gst-snippets/blob/
> > > 217ae015aaddfe3f7aa66ffc936ce93401fca04e/dynamic-tee-vsink.c
> > >
> > > Is this still the recommended way of doing things?
> >
> > Hmm, I just ran the example code against gstreamer 1.16-1 (on archlinux if
> > that matters) and it doesn't seem to work. All I get is a black video sink
> > after some time.
> >
> > Running the pipeline manually without tee works fine:
> >
> > gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=test.mp4 ! decodebin ! videoconvert !
> > queue ! videoconvert ! autovideosink
> >
> > Can someone check if the example code needs to be adapted?
>
> (I wrote the code in question)
>
> The example code should still be correct and back then it was working
> correctly. I can confirm that there's a problem though: changing the
> timeout to 1s causes various critical warnings and green video frames
> here. I'll debug that in one of the next days but expect there to be
> some bug inside GStreamer that was introduced since I last tried it.

Great! Thanks for looking into this. One thing I note is that you aren't
setting the state of the newly added branch to PLAYING, isn't that also
required? It was required for me at least in my code that adds a branch for
recording to a filesink.

But as I said, I tried adding that to your example yet it didn't solve the
black-screen issue for me.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH, a KDAB Group company