v4l2convert in playbin or custom pipeline

Daniel Rossi electroteque at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 15:14:09 UTC 2019

I am in need of assistance with figuring out the correct pipeline for
SRT and RTMP playback. I am using RPI and would like to add v4l2convert
element to it. I noticed this uses the least cpu of about 5%. If I use
flags=native-video in playbin, it uses a little more cpu of 11%. But
without it, it uses 20% cpu.

I am currently using playbin in a python script with kmssink and
alsasink. Playbin automatically detects and uses v4l2h264dec. But it
does not detect and use v4l2convert. Is it possible to make playbin use
v4l2convert ? It would be preferable to stick with playbin to reduce the
complexity of the python script and handles auto interlacing etc.

I am trying a pipeline like this, but it's complaining about needing
queues and I need alsasink added somewhere, I don't understand where to
put it.

  gst-launch-1.0 srtsrc uri=srt://:8888 ! tsdemux ! h264parse !
v4l2h264dec ! v4l2convert ! kmssink

I then need a similar pipeline for RTMP ?

My current command looks like

  gst-launch-1.0 playbin -v video-sink="kmssink" audio-sink="alsasink
device=iec958:CARD=vc4hdmi,DEV=0" uri=srt://:8888