GStreamer will not recognize my plugin

William wgj at cast.uark.edu
Thu Oct 24 20:26:15 UTC 2019

Well, I wanted to post this as it might be useful to someone else. The
biggest problem I has was in naming the library file. If the plugin is X
then the library file needs to be named "X.so" or "gstX.so" or "libgstX.so."
If it's anything else then gst-inspect-1.0 will give you the message:
Could not load plugin file: File "./libgstmyplugin38.so" is not a GStreamer
plugin
So, if you name your library "test.so" like I did, you will never get it to
work. This is for 1.16, naming the library "test.so" on 1.8 did work.