if we plan to remove TEXTURE_UPLOAD, what will be used instead?

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 08:59:58 UTC 2019

Hi,

1. clutter is effectively unmaintained and is really the only major user
of the gl upload meta so the first move is to remove the clutter
dependency inside totem.  There are replacement Gtk sink elements
(gtkglsink and gtksink) for Gtk3 that can be used.  For Gtk4, the
equivalent elements would need to written.
2. The general case for OpenGL within a Gstreamer context is to use the
libgstgl-1.0 library and the associated elements (glupload,
glcolorconvert, etc).  One can pass OpenGL textures between elements
using GstGLMemory with much more information than was ever possible with
the upload meta. Currently libgstgl does include a upload meta
implementation however that implementation will only be used if nothing
else is found (except for upload from system memory).

Cheers
-Matt