Libav and VA-API install in Fedora

Daniel Vernon daniel.vernon at synx.com
Wed Sep 11 12:55:06 UTC 2019

Hello,

Thank you all for the help.  I have now got GStreamer VA-API working on this
Fedora system (currently just with a camera outputting H264 Main profile - I
will look at our H264 Baseline problem again later).

I think I had previously got my system into a mess, so first of all I
re-installed Fedora from scratch.  Here are the full steps I took, in case
this is useful for anyone else:-

1.  Install Fedora 30 from USB drive.

2.  In browser (Firefox) go to https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration.  Install
"RPM Fusion free for Fedora 30" and "RPM Fusion nonfree for Fedora 30."

3.  Open a terminal and run these commands:-

 sudo dnf update                      (This can take a long time to
complete)

 sudo dnf upgrade -y                (This may also take some time)

 sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-nonfree

 sudo dnf install gstreamer1-libav
 sudo dnf install gstreamer1-vaapi
 sudo dnf install libva-utils                        (Required for "vainfo"
command)
 sudo dnf install libva-intel-driver              (Required for
"gst-inspect-1.0 vaapidecodebin" to work)

Thanks,

Daniel Vernon