ever increasing latency with pulsesrc

virtually_me at claub.net virtually_me at claub.net
Wed Sep 25 14:46:50 UTC 2019

There were no responses to this question I posted a few weeks ago, so I am
reposting it.

I'm using Gstreamer (gst-launch) to obtain audio from pulse audio under
Ubuntu, process it via LADSPA, and then send it to a DAC.

When I use pulsesrc I experience ever increasing latency that builds up to a
several seconds over 10-20 minutes or so. I can tell because if I change
volume (for example) that change does not appear in the audio output for
some time.

When I switch to using alsasrc device=pulse the latency never develops. The
rest of the pipeline is unchanged.

Debug output shows Gstreamer running at the correct rate. No errors are
generated.

What might be causing this problem?