Alsasink issue with PI and kmssink overlaying console text

Daniel Rossi electroteque at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 10:58:41 UTC 2019

I am having a hard time getting audio working through the HDMI device in
RP3. If I choose alsasink as the audiosink but no device, I get
distorted audio through the HDMI. If I choose a full device selection,
which wont work on RP4, I get an error about "This sound device does not
have any controls.", and the audio playback is quiet

alsasink device=iec958:CARD=vc4hdmi,DEV=0

If I run as a system user with no home directory or password,it fails to
see the device altogether.

Using kmssink to display to HDMI works, but it doesn't scale the whole
way on a TV and therefore shows console text on the top and bottom.

Any ideas ?