Query on fixate_caps method in aggregator on gstreamer 1.14

JK jk.menon at ignitarium.com
Mon Sep 30 13:49:20 UTC 2019

Hi

I have an overlay plugin derived from the aggregator base class, having two
pads one for video( RGB) and other for metadata, outputs the frame with
overlayed metadata.

This pipeline works on gstreamer 1.8.3,

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=<filename> ! decodebin  ! videoconvert !
video/x-raw,format=RGB ! tee name=t t. ! overlay.sink_0 overlay name=overlay
!  videoconvert ! fpsdisplaysink sync=false t. !  preprocessor !
overlay.sink_1

On 1.14, when the input to the overlay videopad is
video/x-raw,format=rgb,width=1920,height=1080 , output caps becomes
 video/x-raw,format=rgb,width=1,height=1, this gives out black screen as
output.

Going through the Gstaggregator code from 1.14, i found there is a
fixate_src_caps() called from aggregate method which actually gives out a
fixated version video/x-raw,format=RGB,width=1,height=1.

Input to the fixate_src_caps() is the sink caps of the peer elements (
video/x-raw,format=RGB,width=[1,8192],height=[1.8192] , so  the upon the
fixate_caps() call this is fixated to the lowest range values
video/x-raw,format=RGB,width=1,height=1.

So my query, whether i should override this fixate_src_caps() as done on
video aggregator ?
why there is no such implementation on the gstreamer 1.8.3 code base?
I would like to have an idea on this more?

why