prevent color conversion for shm src/sink

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Mon Apr 20 14:32:09 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I pipe an 8 bit greyscale video stream through gstreamer. To allow another
process to access the gstreamer results, I use shmsrc / shmsink.
But to get the data piped through properly, I have to push the format to
video/x-raw,format=(string)BGRx, otherwise the transfer through shm doesn't seem
to work properly.
This cost a big pile of CPU power for the upconversion and wastes a lot of RAM
(only embedded device).

Any idea what could be wrong here?

And - if you have alternative approaches how to connect two independently
running gstreamer processes (same device), just let me know, I'd be happy to
improve my approach here...

Thanks!

Best regards,

Erik