prevent color conversion for shm src/sink

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Apr 20 15:17:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Erik Rull <erik.rull at rdsoftware.de> wrote:

> I pipe an 8 bit greyscale video stream through gstreamer. To allow another
> process to access the gstreamer results, I use shmsrc / shmsink.
> But to get the data piped through properly, I have to push the format to
> video/x-raw,format=(string)BGRx, otherwise the transfer through shm
> doesn't seem
> to work properly.
> This cost a big pile of CPU power for the upconversion and wastes a lot of
> RAM
> (only embedded device).
>
> Any idea what could be wrong here?

You shouldn't have to convert to BGRx to use shmsrc/shmsink, those elements
don't even really have the concept of video, they're agnostic to it, they
just see buffers that need to be sent. Can you share your sending and
receiving pipeline?

> And - if you have alternative approaches how to connect two independently
> running gstreamer processes (same device), just let me know, I'd be happy
> improve my approach here...

Shared memory is zero-copy, so has the best performance. What kind of
throughput are you using? And what platform?

-Josh