SRT stream not sending

Samuel Hurst samuelh at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 15:55:53 UTC 2020

Hi Simon,

On 21/04/2020 12:31, Simon Brown wrote:
> I would tend to put the destination as srt://127.0.0.1:8888
> <http://127.0.0.1:8888> rather than without the IP address when testing
> locally.  And to receive, try using VLC.
> VLC will play srt, eg in this case open a network stream in VLC with url
> srt://@:8888 or even srt://127.0.0.1:8888 <http://127.0.0.1:8888>

I tried setting both ends specifically and got nothing, but when setting
just the server to a specific address and the client without one, this
at least made the server start sending packets which I'm guessing
contained the video stream, although the client still didn't do anything
helpful.

I additionally tried to get VLC to consume the stream from GStreamer,
but even VLC just sat there flashing the seek bar and not getting the
stream. I didn't see GStreamer create any packets either.

> SRT communication is setup between a caller and a listener and they have
> to have established a connection before any stream will transmit.
>
> If you download the source from github then you can build
> srt-live-transmit and use that to send and/or receive an SRT stream and
> convert it from/to UDP.

Cheers, I'll give that idea a go.

Best Regards,
Sam