SRT stream not sending

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:02:52 UTC 2020

> Thanks again for the hint Simon, I managed to take another look at this
> today and by replacing srtsink with udpsink and sticking
> srt-live-transmit in the middle, I managed to successfully get this
> working.
>
> Is requiring this extra hop in the middle to be expected? I know that
> the rtmp/2 elements don't support sending RTMP streams directly from
> rtmpsink to rtmpsrc and you have to run an RTMP server in the middle.
> Admittedly I'm quite new to SRT as a protocol, so I might have the wrong
> end of the stick.
>
> Alternatively, could this be a bug in the srtsink element?
>
> Best Regards,
> Sam
>
> As I said, I'm not familiar with the SRT elements in Gstreamer, but I'd
have thought that if your pipeline works with a UDP sink then sending the
'raw' SRT to the srtsink should work - you shouldn't need the
srt-live-transmit in the middle if the Gstreamer srtsink supports SRT
correctly.  In the same way you can use srt-live-transmit to retransmit udp
and pick that up with VLC, but if you ask VLC to pick the srt stream from
source it is quite happy to do it.

The only other thought I've had, and I'm sure you've checked, but
srtsink isn't about subtitles is it?  It is the biggest pain about the SRT
abbreviation is that it has two completely different uses in broadcast
media.

Regards,
Simon