GStreamer extreme lag when screen capture OpenGL/Vulkan or DX11/DX12 contents

Davide Perini perini.davide at dpsoftware.org
Fri Aug 7 18:33:56 UTC 2020

Hi guys,
I have noticed a very strange behaviour when screen capturing using
gstreamer.

I am using this command line for my try in Windows 10.

./gst-launch-1.0 dxgiscreencapsrc ! videoscale method=0 ! videoconvert !
autovideosink sync=false

This command launch a gstreamer window where I can see my screen beeing
captured.
The command capture at a locked 30 FPS no matter what other software or
windows I open.

If I open an OpenGL/Vulkan or DX11/DX12 window, screen capture remains
at a locked 30FPS
but as soon as I click on the 3D window the screen capture framerate
drops significantly to 10FPS or even worse.

It's strange because if I change the focus on a non 3D window, without
closing the 3D window,
the framerate returns to 30FPS.
Note that framerate drops occurs in the screen capture window, not in
the 3D window.

How this is possible?
Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thank you all guys, I really appreciate your work here and the help you
give people on this community :)

Bye
Davide