GstXml / gst-editor abandonment

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 1 09:21:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-12-01 at 09:01 +0000, Craig Carey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand that these were abandoned long ago because they were
> only capable of serializing simple pipelines. According to Sebastian
> Dröge:
>
> The problem is that you can't serialize a pipeline in general in a
> lossless way, be it with former GstXML or GstParse. There is a lot
> that
> neither of the two can't express but which you can write in actual
> code.
>
> Which is also the main reason why gst-editor was considered not too
> useful and abandoned by various people in the past who worked on it,
> it
> can only build a small subset of all possible pipelines.
>
> Is anyone able to provide more detail of what can't be represented
> without code? So far all I can think of is custom event handling &
> messaging. I was going to start work on (yet another attempt at) a
> GUI pipeline editor but I'll avoid wasting my time if it won't be
> useful.

Anything dynamic really. The most common would be linking of new pads
based on the `pad-added` signal or even adding different downstream
elements following that newly added pad.

Almost every non-trivial pipeline that doesn't just use playbin has
such parts.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com