GstXml / gst-editor abandonment

Craig Carey cynitec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:01:32 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I understand that these were abandoned long ago because they were only
capable of serializing simple pipelines. According to Sebastian Dröge:

The problem is that you can't serialize a pipeline in general in a

lossless way, be it with former GstXML or GstParse. There is a lot that

neither of the two can't express but which you can write in actual

code.

Which is also the main reason why gst-editor was considered not too

useful and abandoned by various people in the past who worked on it, it

can only build a small subset of all possible pipelines.

Is anyone able to provide more detail of what can't be represented without
code? So far all I can think of is custom event handling & messaging. I was
going to start work on (yet another attempt at) a GUI pipeline editor but
I'll avoid wasting my time if it won't be useful.

Thanks in advance,

Craig