GStreamer Debian 10 (buster) backports

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:07:24 UTC 2020

HI,

I've been maintaining GStreamer Jessie, Stretch and Buster backports
for quite some time now, but never made the available, one of the
reasons being the lack of a good Debian PPA. It seems that this is a
discussion that is at least 10 years old.

At first, I tried to use the Ubuntu PPAs [1], working under the
assumption that Focal was close enough to Buster so that the built
packages could be used on Buster.

Unfortunately, glibc and glib on focal were more recent; breaking
compatibility with buster.

After poking around for some time, it turns out that the only 'PPA'
that can be used is the SuSE Open Build System [2].

The repository contains the packages critical for the backport of
GStreamer while trying to keep the changes minimal in GStreamer itself
[3].

At the moment, I have backported the bugfix release of yesterday on
Buster (OBS link [2]), but not yet on Ubuntu Focal [1]), though it
should be easy enough to do if there is interest.

Some of the packages that are published on OBS contain a mini-buildd
versioning, but I'll adjust that when upload a rebuild.

Everything is available on Salsa [4]

Feedback welcome.

g. Marc

[1] https://launchpad.net/~marc-leeman/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:den_erpel
[3] At the moment, only the qt5 plugins were disabled because the lead
me down into the clang rabbit hole
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/den_erpel-guest

--
g. Marc