media timed events - dynamic content insertion for live events

citylights shaun at methodmaker.co.nz
Wed Dec 9 07:28:08 UTC 2020

I would like to ask the development community about whether anyone has an
interest in jointly developing a new gstreamer element for the insertion of
timed meta-data into a gstreamer controlled pipeline.

A reference to the specification can be found here
https://www.w3.org/TR/media-timed-events/#live-event-coverage

In our particular case we are interested in generating a variety of
interesting data elements about a race or public event into a timed meta
data feed that is included in-band in the media stream broadcast. The
captured telemetry data would be appended to a set of log files that were
being used to record the measurements over time. The most recent
values/entries from these files would be sampled according to a given
frequency and these values would be used to write new timed event messages.

We looked at using the existing ID3mux / demux elements as described here
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/id3tag/index.html but it
does not seem suited to dynamic live content broadcasts. It seems designed
for timed meta data that is produced in post production which is packaged up
into a single file that references a predefined timeline.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.