Low udp-buffer-size results in out-of-order frames at sink

Bill Klein bill at orbit.org
Mon Jan 6 15:46:51 UTC 2020

I have been using rtspsrc pipelines for about two years now, on various
platforms, with various GStreamer versions, and have consistently observed
something that I can't understand:

If the udp-buffer-size is too low, there can be artifacts & corruption in
the resulting video. This by itself can make sense. However, what we also
see is that some frames that make it to the sink are out of order: For
example we may see a flash of a person in the room, even if that person was
already observed having left the frame in the previous several sink buffers.

How can this happen? Is it an error in the packet-drop logic or is there
something I'm missing?

Thank you!

- Bill