RTP payloader buffer duration timestamps

Christoph Eifert christoph.eifert at gmx.de
Fri Jan 10 17:35:30 UTC 2020

Ok, thanks. Relying on the h264 bitstream would probably be tedious, as
I'm experimenting with different mtu sizes for rtp.

But rtph264pay has min-ptime and max-ptime properties which according to
the documentation can cap the duration per packet. Therefore the
payloader should at some point have the duration, if only to check if
it's within the limits set by these two properties. I was thinking about
modifying the payloader to add this duration to the buffer, just for a
couple of experiments.

The rtpbasepayload class has a function gst_rtp_base_payload_is_filled()
with the duration as a parameter in which these limits are checked. I
just can't seem to find any reference to it where it would be used by
the actual rtph264pay.

Am I missing something or are these two properties simply ignored?

Best Regards

Christoph