Arbitrary channel count with rtpl16depay

James Cowdery jtc at dolby.com
Sat Jan 11 16:57:11 UTC 2020

Yes. If setting the positions to None will allow the pipeline to ignore the
issue of channel positions altogether and suppress the warnings, that is
what I want. The audioconvert plugin will always output only two channels
allowing the downstream player to assume a stereo layout.

I did try specifying all the channels as unpositioned in the caps but this
didn't help.
For Example: channel-positions=(GstAudioChannelPosition)<
GST_AUDIO_CHANNEL_POSITION_NONE, GST_AUDIO_CHANNEL_POSITION_NONE, ...

The received audio tracks could be audio objects which has arbitrary X,Y,Z
positions in space and so can't be described with a conventional channel
position such as Left, Right, Center etc.
As formats such as HOA and object audio become more mainstream I think this
use-case will become more common.
Thanks, James