Arbitrary channel count with rtpl16depay

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sat Jan 11 18:08:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 10:57 -0600, James Cowdery wrote:

Hi James,

> Yes. If setting the positions to None will allow the pipeline to
> ignore the issue of channel positions altogether and suppress the
> warnings, that is what I want. The audioconvert plugin will always
> output only two channels allowing the downstream player to assume a
> stereo layout.
>
> I did try specifying all the channels as unpositioned in the caps but
> this didn't help.
> For Example: channel-positions=(GstAudioChannelPosition)<
> GST_AUDIO_CHANNEL_POSITION_NONE, GST_AUDIO_CHANNEL_POSITION_NONE, ...
>
> The received audio tracks could be audio objects which has arbitrary
> X,Y,Z positions in space and so can't be described with a
> conventional channel position such as Left, Right, Center etc.
> As formats such as HOA and object audio become more mainstream I
> think this use-case will become more common.

Is there already an issue in gitlab for this?

If not, could you file one and attach a wireshark dump or the output of

  ... ! gdppay ! filesink location=rtpL16-9channels.gdp

to the issue? (where gdppay ! ... is in place of rtpL16depay).

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/issues/new

Thanks!

Cheers
 Tim