Current situation of Python bindings for Gstreamer on Windows?

Tamas km212121 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:26:50 UTC 2020

Thanks for the replies!

You're absolutely right about pygobject being actively maintained, and
indeed I forgot to include it in my list above. I just noticed that I
actually had their conda package installed. On the other hand, there was a
project called "pygobject for windows" all-in-one installer, so I wasn't
actually confusing the two. Perhaps it was just installing pygobject
dependencies, I didn't look very much into it.

As for, PyGObject I haven't been able to make conda package work - first it
failed to import gi until I replaced libiconv with the conda-forge version,
and then it won't find gst... Probably wasn't meant to work that way anyway?
The recommended installation needs msys2 and a bunch of other packages
installed therein most of which I already have (e.g. why do I need yet
another python installation?). Feels like a not-very-subtle nudge telling me
that I should just use Linux instead. All in all, just too many hoops to
jump through.

The cleanest and easiest way ahead seems to be to create my own wrapper
around the gstreamer functions I actually need and use it happily, natively
and without dependency on a bunch of other libraries that each introduce yet
another chance of failure to work on Windows.

On the other hand, I'd love to hear more about the "custom setups to build
everything on Windows" Nirbheek mentioned, perhaps that's the way to go.