Working example of RTMP stream to Gstreamer RTSP server?

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Jul 30 00:02:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 23:30 +0000, John Deutscher wrote:

Hi John,

Bit difficult to know what's going on without having the input stream
to test with at hand, so just a couple of questions / comments /
suggestions:

- Did you try playing back the stream with GStreamer (e.g. gst-play-
1.0) instead of VLC?

- Have you tried the test-uri example for comparison? You should be
able to pass it the rtmp:// URI directly, and it should relay the data
without transcoding.

- Does the rtmp input stream play with gst-play-1.0 rtmp://.. (quick
sanity check)

- Instead of using flvdemux and two decodebins you should be able to
use a single decodebin which will give you a decoded audio + video
stream (hopefully); or uridecodebin which includes the rtmpsrc as well
then. Or even the (uri)decodebin3 variants.

- How does VLC "fail"? Any errors? Does it show a window in the right
size but without the video?

- If you don't want the audio, you *should* be able to just not link
the audio pad - that *should* work fine as long as the video pad is
linked. (Though I'm only 90% sure that flvdemux will handle this right,
I have a vague memory of a bug about that at some point).

- That fakesink in your rtsp server pipeline could mess up some things
a little, maybe setting it to async=false helps (if just dropping the
audio branch is not possible)

Cheers
 Tim