wrapping my head around clocksync

ruben malchow ruben.malchow at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 07:56:51 UTC 2020

hi again,

i have now come up with this:

server:
     gst-launch-1.0   uridecodebin uri="[mp3 stream]"   ! audioconvert   !
lamemp3enc    ! queue   ! tcpserversink host=192.168.71.163  port=4999

client:
     gst-launch-1.0   tcpclientsrc host=192.168.71.163 port=4999
do-timestamp=true   ! decodebin   ! audioconvert   ! queue   ! clocksync !
alsasink sync=false

... and this gives me a playable stream, and sync is ok over a LAN between
several VMs ... but that's pure luck and the fact that it's a virtual setup
with no wifi or competing traffic involved. i have to say though that even
if one client is off (e.g. in the beginning), it usually converges again
after a second or two.

some issues:
   - i wanted to use vorbis. not doing thet b/c it seems the problem with
the format specification on the client side is not really solvable.
   - i am not using rtppay / depay here - mostly because i dont know which
one to use on mp3
   - the second i set "sync" to "true", it essentially stops working - it
still plays short pieces every now and then, but no continuous stream

i think i am probably making some mistakes. what's missing?

.rm