How to I enable latencytracer in Python?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat May 2 21:00:28 UTC 2020

Le samedi 02 mai 2020 à 19:01 +0200, Michael a écrit :

> Hello everybody,
>

> I wanna investigate latency issues in my pipeline!
>
> I found that using Tracers should be the way to go with `latencytracer`, but
> I couldn't find any example except using it in `gst-launch-1.0`
>
> GST_DEBUG="GST_TRACER:7" GST_TRACERS=latency(flags=element)
> How would I enable it in a python script?  🤷‍♂️
>
> GST_TRACERS=latency(flags=element)
>
> Finding a way for debugging wasn't that easy starting from zero.
>
> Gst.debug_set_active(True)
> #Gst.debug_set_default_threshold(4)
> #Gst.debug_set_threshold_for_name('test*', Gst.DebugLevel.TRACE  )
> #Gst.debug_set_threshold_for_name("qt*", 5)
>
> But how would I trace the latency for each Element in the current pipe during
> runtime, in python?

There is currently no API to the tracers, this is something we should do, we we
already have few bits marked as unstable API because their API isn't yet in a
shape we are confident to freeze it.

>From the time being, you need to set the env before starting the process or do
this before calling Gst.init():

	os.environ["GST_TRACERS"] = "latency(flags=element)"

There is no way to turn on and off at run-time for now.