How to I enable latencytracer in Python?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sun May 3 13:52:33 UTC 2020

Le dim. 3 mai 2020 06 h 30, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> a écrit :

> On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 17:00 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
>

> There is currently no API to the tracers, this is something we should do, we we
>
> already have few bits marked as unstable API because their API isn't yet in a
>
> shape we are confident to freeze it.
>

> From the time being, you need to set the env before starting the process or do
>
> this before calling Gst.init():
>

> 	os.environ["GST_TRACERS"] = "latency(flags=element)"
>

> There is no way to turn on and off at run-time for now.
>

> FWIW, we do have API access for tracers in git master, e.g. the leak
> tracer can be accessed via GObject API after retrieving it via
> gst_tracing_get_active_tracers(), to do snapshotting etc. So could
>
> add something similar to other tracers if we wanted to and it seems
>
> useful.

Yes, though the leak tracer still need to be activated by env iirc. The
leak tracer can only work if it's enabled before gst_init(). While some
other tracers, like latency tracer could with some API be activated and
deactivated completely at runtime (without paying an overhead when
deactivated). Just saying, as it would be sad to use the same API for these
two cases.