question about raspberry camera video straming with gstreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri May 8 09:04:50 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 22:13 +0300, apostolis paraschoudis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately I am not an advanced user with raspberries , Gstreamer
> and networks and I couldn't find a solution to my problem in several
> forums (i couldn't find any dedicated forum for Gstreamer ! ) .
> I am trying to transmit video from my rapsberry camera (connected to
> RPI 3 B+) to my windows laptop through gstreamer.
>
> In my laptop i give the command :
> gst-launch-1.0.exe -v udpsrc port=5600 caps=“application/x-rtp,
> media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000, encoding-
> name=(string)H264” ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! videoconvert !
> autovideosink sync=f
>
> and on my raspberry the command:
> raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 1000000 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | gst-launch-
> 1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 !
> udpsink host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port=5600

There are two things to improve here, on both sides.

For the receiver, can you add an `rtpjitterbuffer` element between the
`udpsrc` and the `rtph264depay`? That would allow for some buffering,
fix up packet reordering and create more useful timestamps, among other
things.

On the sender side I would recommend using the `rpicamsrc` element from
  https://github.com/thaytan/gst-rpicamsrc
instead of piping the `raspivid` output to `gst-launch-1.0`. That's
going to work more robust and reliable, and also provide better
timestamp and other metadata to GStreamer.

Once changing that it should work better, maybe already well enough.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com