Pipeline IPC advice

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Wed May 20 20:47:35 UTC 2020

Hi,
Those different plugins "inter" plugins all have different purposes and
use-cases:
1. inter {video,audio,subtitle}{sink,src} are meant to be used between
pipelines in the same process to send raw buffers. The "src" element
behave like live sources and pick up the newest buffer from the sink.
So the consumer doesn't block the producer.
2. Ridgerun's interpipe forwards the whole gstreamer flow, so it
couples the pipelines a bit more than the upstream inter* elements. I
think the big difference is that they block the sender pipeline if the
receiver is too slow (so the pipelines act as one longer pipeline from
that point of view). They also forwards events and caps negotiation
unlike
3. ipcpipeline (formerly interpipeline) is meant to separate pipelines
between processes in a master/slave configuration where the application
deals with the master pipeline as if it was a normal GStreamer
pipeline.

And Ridgerun never really submitted their code for upstream inclusion,
which is why it's not there! They filed a ticket 4 years ago with a
giant patch, but it was never reviewed... I guess if they want to
upstream it, they should probably re-submit as a GitLab Merge
Request.Ref:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/-/issues/382
Olivier
On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 09:12 -0700, Alex Wolfe wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a few questions about joining pipelines via IPC. What is the
> difference between the gstinter plugin included in gst-plugins-bad
> and the gst-interpipe plugin by RidgeRun? Also, is there a reason why
> the latter is not included in the gstreamer plugin packages? Is one
> preferred over the other to chain different pipeline processes?
>

> https://github.com/RidgeRun/gst-interpipe
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Olivier Crête