Capturing frames in Full Screen mode

Moiz moiz at playpixel.app
Fri Oct 9 15:17:13 UTC 2020

I am using DXGIScreenCapSrc to capture my screen as part of my pipeline, to
stream gameplay.

This works fine for borderless and windowed mode, however when I switch to
full screen mode, the gstreamer pipeline quits, with the following logs

ERROR: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDXGIScreenCapSrc:dxgiscreencapsrc0: Internal data
stream error. Additional debug info: ../libs/gst/base/gstbasesrc.c(3127):
gst_base_src_loop ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDXGIScreenCapSrc:dxgiscreencapsrc0: streaming
stopped, reason error (-5)

After digging a bit into the dxgiscreencapsrc.c, I'm assuming this error is
happening in the acquisition of the next frame, and it causes gstreamer to
quit

I am curious to know why does the screencap fail to get frames when the game
is in full screen mode?

Is there any way to get around this, if not is there anything I can do to
prevent gstreamer from quitting?

I have tried the full screen on dx9screencapsrc, and in this when I go full
screen mode it turns to a black screen, however the pipeline doesn't quit

Any suggestions?