Handling frame drops on low-motion frames

Moiz moiz at playpixel.app
Mon Oct 26 08:54:39 UTC 2020

I am using nvenc to encode a 60FPS stream, it works well when there is lots
of movement on the screen (consecutive frames are not similar), however for
frames that have little movement (similar to previous frame), the frames are
being dropped.

Here is my pipeline

gst-launch-1.0.exe rtpbin name=rtpbin rtp-profile=avpf dxgiscreencapsrc
width=1280 height=650 y=32 ! queue !  videoconvert !
video/x-raw,format=I420,framerate=60/1 ! nvh264enc preset=5 bitrate=3000
qos=true gop-size=24  rc-lookahead=5 b-adapt=true ! h264parse ! rtph264pay
ssrc=22222222 pt=102 config-interval=-1 ! rtpbin.send_rtp_sink_0
rtpbin.send_rtp_src_0 ! udpsink

How can I prevent the frame drops without having to force more keyframes or
decrease my bitrate?

I'm assuming it has something to do with adapting to frames/lookahead but I
haven't been able to fix the issue even with b-adapt set to true when
rc-lookahead is enabled

Also, when I try the pipeline with x264 it works fine