GStreamer 1.18 and dxgiscreencapsrc

David Ing ding at panopto.com
Wed Sep 2 17:04:58 UTC 2020

One reason is that the msvc build probably supports a number of plugins
through MediaFoundation, for example:
http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Hardware-acceleration-on-Windows-10-td4695247.html
I am not sure whether the mingw build supports those same plugins, I would
guess not.  But if it does support those plugins, there are a number of C
Runtime compatibility issues that might bite you once in a while.  (These
issues are notoriously difficult to diagnose.)

In regards to C Runtime compatibility issues:  If you are building an
application that consumes the gstreamer libraries, and your application is
compiled with msvc; then you definitely want the msvc libraries.  But if
you are building your application with mingw then take the mingw Gstreamer
libraries (but checkout the toolchain version first).

Also, historically Gstreamer for Windows was only built using mingw because
of widespread dependencies on Linux build tools (e.g. Autotools).  I think
the mingw build was done because they couldn't get it working with msvc
until recently.  (It took a lot of work to get the msvc build working.)