Push/pull mode for net source for live, timeshifted and recorded TV

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 16:14:34 UTC 2020

I want to write a source element for HTSP clients. HTSP
<https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/Htsp> is the Home TV
Streaming Protocol used by tvheadend <https://tvheadend.org/>. It supports
playback of live TV and of recordings, and live TV can be put into
timeshifted mode (paused and limited seeking).

I've got a little bit of experience with gstreamer, but this is the first
time I've tried to write an element/plugin. Looking at the Plugin Writer's
Guide, it seems that pull mode is better for playing recordings (and is
necessary to support seeking?) while push mode would be better suited for
live TV. However, when live TV is in timeshifted mode, pulling would be
better. Can gstreamer switch between push/pull on the fly? Or should I just
use pull mode for everything and buffer packets in the source?

--
TH