can gst_buffer_map also map the timestamp and metadata?

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Sep 16 08:52:48 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-09-11 at 21:24 +0200, ^_^Sisyphus^_^ wrote:

> I am looking into shmsink/shmsrc, the buffer passthrough does not
> contain any metadata such as pts, dts. I wonder if gst_buffer_map()
> actually is supposed to contain that data or it only contains the
> memory the buffer wrapped?
>

> Is there any plugin that actually passes the buffer with timestamp to
> another process? Is there any muxer that allows me to wrap the buffer
> with its metadata into another buffer so I can actually demux it out
> with the correct timestamp after received by shmsrc?

In addition to the other options already mentioned:

You can use gdppay to payload buffers plus metadata (caps, segment,
timestamps, events), and use gdpdepay on the other end.

Depending on what your data is you may be able to mux it into a
container and then retrieve the timestamping again by demuxing on the
other side.

It all depends on the details of your pipeline.

Cheers
 Tim