Virtual camera sink on OS X

Chris Hiszpanski chris at hiszpanski.name
Sat Sep 19 10:05:10 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm thinking to develop a virtual camera gstreamer sink for macOS to be able to use arbitrary filters in any downstream application (e.g. Zoom, web browser, etc.). For example, enable something like:

    gst-launch-1.0 avfoundation ! myfilter ! osxvirtcam name="Virtual Camera"

Has this been attempted before? Would gst-plugins-good/sys/osxvideo/ be a good location for this? Or gst-plugins-bad/sys/applemedia/?

I think Apple's CoreMediaIO framework is well-suited to this, but curious to hear any suggestions for other approaches.

Thanks,
Chris