Using Gstreamer and souphttpsrc in Jupyter Notebook

Jimmy Bush mr.jimmybush at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:20:54 UTC 2020

Hey, everyone, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I have been working for the last week to run gstreamer inside a Jupyter
notebook, and for the most part I have been successful.  From the command
line of Linux Mint 20, I am able to run the 1.16.2 version of gstreamer
with gst-launch-1.0 call, and I use souphttpsrc and youtube-dl to watch a
youtube clip.

From
http://lifestyletransfer.com/how-to-watch-youtube-videos-with-gstreamer/

gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc is-live=true location="$(youtube-dl --format
"best[ext=mp4][protocol=https]" --get-url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg)" ! decodebin ! videoconvert !
autovideosink

Works great.  When I install Jupyter in conda, it pulls 1.14.5 versions of
gstreamer and gst-plugins-base.  I have been able to pop up the
videotestsrc within Jupyter Notebook as one would expect.  However, I
can no longer use souphttpsrc. If I gst-inspect-1.0 souphttpsrc, I get "No
such element or plugin 'souphttpsrc'".  Same is true if I conda install
gstreamer by itself.  From my readings, I think that means that
--enable-soup was not used.

My questions:
1) Has anyone gotten this to work?
2) Is there a version of gstreamer for conda with soup enabled?
3) Should my next step be to build gstreamer locally, enabling soup myself?
4) Would there be value in trying to publish a soup-enabled version to
conda-forge? Would 1.14.5, 1.16.2 or 1.18 be the best candidate should I
get that far?

I've used Linux for several years, but this would be my first foray into
contributing to the open source community, so please help with any baseline
misunderstandings on my part.

Thanks,
Jimmy