Find actual size of display from a sink

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Sep 22 14:16:02 UTC 2020

Le mardi 22 septembre 2020 à 09:50 +0000, Gary Metalle a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Possibly a dumb question but is there a way to find out the actual
> size of a display when using a (video) sink?

If the sink have support for it. At the moment, this information is
only passed in the context of CompositionOverlay meta. This information
is used for high resolution text overlay render (we can render to
display resolution in order to avoid any scaling artifacts). If was
considered to move / duplicate this information into VideoOverlay meta
reporting, but have not be done, as it didn't have any use case for.

Feel free to extand to your needs, patches will be welcomed in this
regard. One of the use case that was forseen was to better select the
streams in HLS/DASH, to avoid selecting higher resolution then needed
fro the display. One of the issue with current implementation is that
it's missing the display aspect ratio (which means the rendered may
still be doing some scaling in odd display pixel ratio).