sync=false does not seem to work in appsink

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Sep 22 14:23:30 UTC 2020

Le mardi 22 septembre 2020 à 06:54 -0500, Kazanian a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> my pipeline looks like this:
> filesrc ! h264parse ! vpudec ! appsink sync=false
>
> The loaded h264-file has 50 fps. In the appsink callback function, I
> measured the framerate and the result is always 30 fps whether sync is true
> or false. But sync=false should result in processing the frames as fast as
> possible. Why is this not working with appsink?
>
> If I replace appsink by glimagesink sync=false, then I achieve 56 fps. So
> here it makes a difference but not with appsink.

appsink as-is may break zero-copy, so on top of the decoding overhead,
you may have detiling (linearization) overhead. If you need to maintain
zero-copy with appsink, consider adapting the caps and perhaps
implementing the allocation query (you can refer to kmscube sample app
from the Mesa team on how to use appsink in zero-copy).