Gstreamer compatible video encoding

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Aug 30 15:37:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

see answer inline.

Le lundi 30 août 2021 à 09:49 -0400, Dwight Kulkarni via gstreamer-devel a
écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to store a video using Gstreamer to file in such a way as it
> overwrites the oldest recording when all space is used up.
>
> Ideally what I need is rather than a single packaged filed, blocks of data
> that can be overwritten. Therefore, I could delete the oldest block and insert
> a new block without having to repackage the entire video.
>
> When looking at the different formats, I saw that some were using .avi files
> which are going to be huge. I wanted something that would get good quality and
> compression, but also it would support the ability to save blocks of the
> files.
>
> Can anyone comment on if this is possible with gstreamer ?

In similar projects, instead of going really low level with using single file
and rewriting blocks (which is often incompatible with muxed formats), we
resorted with fixed size fragments (using splitmuxsink). We used the "format-
location" signal to implement custom formatting of the file names (spreading
into multiple directories and using date for file names) and also as a trigger
for too ancient recording removal.

We could then playback the files as if it was just 1 large recording using
splitmuxsrc, of course with a wrapper that implement the same format-location
signal.