Capture audio with DirectShow on Windows

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 06:08:15 UTC 2021

Hi David,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 3:00 AM David Ing via gstreamer-devel
<gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On a Windows machine, I have an audio device that doesn't expose itself through WASAPI or DirectSound, and I'm not sure how to capture the sound using Gstreamer.
>
> We have written software that uses DirectShow (not DirectSound) to capture audio from the device.  Does Gstreamer support audio input from DirectShow?

GStreamer does have directshow source elements for audio and video:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/-/tree/main/subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/sys/dshowsrcwrapper

But the plugin is not integrated into the build system, and we do not
ship it in the MSIs because no one wants to maintain it. However, you
should be able to build it manually and try to use it.

Cheers,
Nirbheek