Something may have went wrong in setting Up GStreamer environment for developing

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Feb 24 18:24:49 UTC 2021

Le mercredi 24 février 2021 à 10:42 -0600, JimmyHan a écrit :
> Hey Guys, I'm a complete Newbie to GStreamer. My employer asked me to learn
> GStreamer so I could start working on some new projects.
>
> In searching for tutorials I came across the these tutorials. I was pretty
> excited to start and everything.
>
> I followed the instructions for installation on ubuntu or debian. I run
> pop!_os its based on Ubuntu so I figured I'm straight.
>
> I cloned the github repo with the tutorials and compiled the first tutorial as
> instructed.
>
> But whenever I run ./basic-tutorial-1, i get segmentation fault(core dumped).
> I need to know if I'm missing a library or sumtg, I have been searching for
> help for a few hours now but couldn't find nothing close.
>
> I tried the gdb instructions but I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.
>
> Below is the images I have posted based on the results from gdb, hopefully
> someone will be able to make sense out of this and assist me in going forward.
> Gdb_Results.pdf

That is effectively strange. There is a little hint of what could possible be
wrong on your OS. The tip of the backtrace is in iHD_drv_video.so, this is the
software part of the Intel VA driver (video decoder accelerator). I haven't seen
such a crash recently, but perhaps pops have a packaging bugs (e.g. drivers and
gstreamer-vaapi not being built against the same version, or other issues like
this).

I think to get doing, the simpliest thing is just to uninstall gstreamer-vaapi
package (not sur of it's axact ubuntu name, but I'm sure you'll find with with
apt search vaapi). This will fallback to FFMPEG software decoding and will
likely "fix" the issue. It's not relevant to your learning after all.